Company Director,
Haysport Properties Ltd,
C/O Tower Bridge House,
St Katharine’s Way,
London,
E1D 1DD
Former Axiom Building, 57-59 Winchcombe St, Cheltenham
Dear Mr Searby,
I am writing to you as I believe that you are a Company Director for Haysport Properties Ltd, who own the former Axiom building, 57-59 Winchcombe Street, Cheltenham. From looking on the internet I am aware of some difficulties with the family originally involved with the company and I am not clear as to whether or not Haysport Properties are still an operating company but hope you and Mr Robin Johnson will be the right people to help me.
Before the Axiom building
was sold by Cheltenham Borough Council it was for some years Cheltenham’s
Community Art Centre. It has now been derelict for 12 years having been shut
abruptly in March 2000. Many people in Cheltenham feel very unhappy that this
much loved community asset has been left empty for such a long period.
It is included in the List
of Locally Important Buildings compiled by the council and is also in
Cheltenham’s Central Conservation Area. With changes to planning brought by the
NPPF there is more weight for the Council to protect such buildings from
demolition. The building itself is unique in Cheltenham, there is nothing like
it and it has a long history – at this link you can read an article I wrote
about the building in 2002 http://www.gsia.org.uk/reprints/2002/gi200255.pdf
I am a County Councillor
for All Saints Division and the Axiom building is within my County Division. I
am also a Borough Councillor for neighbouring College Ward. I am writing as a
locally elected representative to ask that the owners to consider leasing the
building to a community or voluntary group at a peppercorn rent on a full repairing
lease. Or alternatively if they wish to sell the building then please can local
people be made aware of this so we can try to raise the funds locally to buy
back our building.
It would be fantastic for
the building to be brought back to life for the good of the people of
Cheltenham, if only for a few more years until the owners wish to renovate or
sell the building. I would be pleased to hear back from you whatever the view
the company has so that suitable groups could be approached to consider taking
on a lease.
You will no doubt agree
that this much loved and locally important building should be made the best use
of for the benefit of the local community until the owners decide what they
want to do with it.
This section of Winchcombe
Street has also lost the Odeon Cinema which is currently empty and being
advertised for lease. The area needs a boost to bring back the vibrancy that it
used to have before these two key buildings closed.
I await your reply and
thank you for the time in reading my letter and request.
Yours sincerely,
Klara Sudbury,
County Councillor for All
Saints Division,
Borough Councillor for
College Ward.
No comments:
Post a Comment