It really was a life changing decision in more ways than one and I have learned so much and met so many wonderful Cheltenham people over the last decade. We initially set out as a resident’s campaign group to make improvements to our local area and we did make a real difference.
We had trees planted on the industrial section of Mead Road, had bins installed, did litter picks and traffic surveys on Naunton Lane which helped contribute towards getting resurfacing done there. We fought planning applications to varying degrees of success including trying to fend off an enormous mobile phone mast in Mead Road.
We also tried to get safer routes for lorries accessing the industrial units on Mead Road to avoid them travelling past Naunton Park School. Whilst some works have been done there this issue is still a problem that I am trying to get the County Council to resolve.
The interest in planning matters which arose from our campaigns led me to get involved in numerous high profile campaigns including opposition to the Cox's Meadow River Chelt Flood Alleviation Scheme. At the start of this campaign I was concerned about the loss of the meadow as a suitable location for public events but the more I learned about the actual proposals the clearer it became that the flood scheme would most likely not work.
I also fought to save 131 Old Bath Road and the lodgings of the Principle of the Ladies College from demolition. The former campaign ended in failure as planning permission was granted (although thankfully the house is still standing) but the latter was successful and not only does the building still stand but the theatre that the school was seeking has been achieved elsewhere extremely successfully.
It was a fairly natural progression to go from campaigner to a would be councillor although being a councillor does bring with it a need to understand that you are working for all people of varying viewpoints and not just campaigning on the matters of most personal concern.
Being a County Councillor over the past 7 years has been a real privilege that I never take for granted. As College County Councillor I have achieved some small local victories which I hope have improved the area. I successfully fought for the County Council to provide historic replica lamp posts in Fairfield area after they had removed the originals without warning and replaced with modern ones.

We live in challenging times but while I am able and willing and while they will still have me as their representative I will continue to try and make a positive difference to the town and the people I represent.


No comments:
Post a Comment