Tuesday, 11 March 2014

Consultation on possible One-Way System for Exmouth Street, Hermitage Street and Francis Street Leckhampton

The County Council have written to residents in the Bath Road area of Leckhampton about a possible one-way system for 3 streets.

The plans suggest that it is possible to make Exmouth Street, Hermitage Street and Francis Street on-way and asks residents for their views. The letter sent by the highways officer to residents says that these plans were asked for by me.

Whilst it is true that I have asked highways to design a one-way system for the area, what is being consulted on was not what I had asked for as it has deliberately excluded Naunton Crescent. 

I have offered to pay for an Experimental Traffic Regulation Order to implement a one-way scheme on Naunton Crescent, Francis Street, Hermitage Street and Exmouth Street from my Highways Local budget. I chose this as this issue has come up time and time again on the doorstep.

Many residents in the area especially in Naunton Crescent and Francis Street are fed up with their cars being damaged because the roads are too narrow for two way traffic. There is also a problem with lorries trying to get from the Bath Road to the Mead Road industrial estate through these narrow roads because they are directed by their SatNavs.

When they turn in they cannot complete the journey and have to reverse back out on to Bath Road - something I have witnessed on a number of occasions.

With the possibility of a one-way system, sign-age to prevent lorries using these routes could be improved without the need to clutter up the Bath Road with lots of signs.

Also over the past two years, since residents parking was ruled out for the area, I have been working with a group of residents on ideas of how to try and improve the current parking and congestion problems in the area.

One of the suggestions from residents of this group (and dozens of others I have spoken with on the door step) was that a one-way system could help.

Hermitage Street, Leckhampton

Residents collected over 200 signatures on a petition I presented to the County Council last year asking for them to design plans for a one-way system for residents to be consulted on. Many of those signing the petition were in Naunton Crescent.

It was extremely annoying that instead of letting me see the design of the proposals first, the county officers wrote to residents before letting me know that Naunton Crescent had been excluded. In fact the first I knew about the plans was a flurry of emails from residents wondering why their road had not been included.

What is important now is that as many people living in that area have a say on the proposals. Whilst many people have told me they are desperate for a one-way system, there are others who have made it clear that they are strongly against the idea - so it is important that everyone has their say. If the majority really don't want any change that will be the end of the issue, nothing will happen but at least I tried!

The suggestion of an Experimental Traffic Regulation Order came from the highways officers and it means that if part of the changes cause unexpected consequences they can be remedied quickly but if it is successful would after a period of review become permanent. This seemed to me the most pragmatic way of trialling a scheme to make sure residents are happy with it and that it makes a positive difference, although in the letter from highways it is not clear whether this will be a permanent TRO or not.

If you have any thoughts on this and live or work in that local area the contact details of who to contact and what is suggested is in the letter copied below.